|Dear AACE Rocky Mountain Section Members and Friends,
The 2013-2014 year is underway and I hope you had an enjoyable summer. Your new RMS board has been busy with planning meetings over the past few months. Below is a list of the 2013-2014 RMS Officers & Directors:
During the planning meetings, the Board focused on the following areas:
Our first monthly meeting is scheduled for Thursday, September 19th at the Sheraton Denver West. If you haven’t yet registered, you can do so here. Our speaker will be Scott Thompson, NREL Project Controls Manager. Mr. Thompson will be providing us with an overview of the expansion activities that NREL has undertaken and some of the challenges they’ve overcome.
- Updating the RMS Bylaws for 2013-2014. An updated version can now be found
- Review of RMS communication channels
- Development of program for monthly meetings
- Membership Committees
- Certification and Training opportunities
- Student Chapter involvement activities
- Partnerships opportunities with other professional organizations
The October meeting will be a tour of the Saint Joe’s Hospital expansion program. Additional details on this program will be sent in the coming weeks.
We will be providing a few new communication channels this year, to allow RMS
members multiple ways of receiving information. As before, this website will be the focal point for communications. We have been working to update and add items of interest and value to our members. The goal is to have such things as articles, papers, and helpful links to relevant information, and local job postings, but, more importantly, to keep them updated regularly. If you have something to contribute, please let us know. This is a volunteer organization and the more volunteers who participate, the better it is for all of us.
AACE held its Annual Meeting in Washington DC from June 30th through July 3rd. I saw many of our Rocky Mountain Section members there and I hope those in attendance found the event worthwhile and productive. Special thanks to those of you who took the time to prepare a paper and make a presentation. A few other developments occurred at this meeting, including:
In the area of certified members, congratulations are in order for McCullough (Mac) Crawford of CH2M HILL, who successfully passed the CCT exam in July.
- Name change of the CCC/CCE certification to CCP (Certified Cost Professional). As history, the CCE designation was required to be changed due to multiple jurisdictional restrictions with use of either the word “engineer” or “engineering” and those legal objections drove the name change.
- Our RMS Past President (David Norfleet) was confirmed as Region 5 Director.
- RMS was presented with a Platinum Section Award (highest level possible) for our work in 2012-2013. This is a reflection of our members showcasing outstanding ability, service and dedication to our profession.
In April 2014, we are planning a training seminar. Last year the focus was on the skills and knowledge of cost engineering. This year we have received requests from members around earned value training and certification. If you or your organization has an interest in participating in this training seminar, please contact me via email.
In closing, I challenge each of you to actively participate in the local AACE-RMS as there are numerous ways to become involved and advance your career at the same time. RMS is a “Top 10” local chapter in AACE and as evidence, we were presented with a Platinum Award at the annual meeting. We are holding firm at approximately 220 members, representing many different job functions and industries and our financial position is strong. Additionally 35% of our members are certified with one or more certifications. I hope you will take advantage of all AACE International and the Rocky Mountain Section have to offer.
I look forward to the upcoming year and to seeing you at one or many of our events. If you have any comments or questions, feel free to contact me.
John Hartman, PSP